At first, the prospect of learning a new language can seem a little daunting. But after time, the process ceases to inspire fear in the hearts of learners and, instead, rouses only feelings of excitement and happiness.
There is an entire smorgasbord of factors which makes people want to learn a new language. One of them is simply the wisdom of others – whether it’s dispensed by friends, family or famous authors.
So, with this in mind, here are ten great quotes to get you in the mood for learning a new language.
1. Do you know what a foreign accent is? It’s a sign of bravery. – Amy Chua
2. Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about. – Benjamin Lee Whorf
3. To learn a language is to have one more window from which to look at the world. – Chinese Proverb
4. With languages, you are at home anywhere. – Edward De Waal
5. I love commuting between languages just like I love commuting between cultures and cities. – Elif Safak
6. A different language is a different vision of life. – Federico Fellini
7. A foreign language is like a frail, delicate muscle. If you do not use it, it weakens. – Jhumpa Lahiri
8. We should learn languages because language is the only thing worth knowing even poorly. – Kató Lomb
9. Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can; there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. – Sarah Caldwell
10. Learning a new language is becoming a member of the club – the community of speakers of that language. – Frank Smith
Fancy starting your language-learning journey in 2019?[/su_column]
Article written by Béatrice Dedeurwaerder, Translation Intern at Wolfestone Translation and RLI.